The Village

Monday, August 18, 2008

Chemo Begins

Vicki's white blood cells are low, but holding steady. Her platelets dropped again, but that's to be expected so the doctor gave the OK to start chemotherapy this morning.

As usual, Princess Vicki was a real trouper. Would you believe she was on the phone cancelling an appointment with another doctor at the very moment Nurse Regina was administering one of the chemo drugs through an IV push? Talk about multi-tasking.

There are two chemotherapy drugs; one is administered daily and the other drips continuously. This will continue for seven days. The doctor has written orders for lots of anti-nausea drugs and other medications to keep her as comfortable as possible, but with her blood counts already low she tires very easily. She will probably receive another transfusion tomorrow to help keep her blood counts up while the chemo destroys both good and bad cells.

Jack was looking and feeling a lot perkier after his day off Sunday. After a busy morning killing cancer, Vicki had earned a good rest so sent Jack and his chauffeur home. Jack is doing fine on his own at home, promising not to over do it which probably means he is still doing too much, just not as much as usual.

Support services are falling into place. A pet sitter is coming to take Leo and Phin out for daily walks and arrangements for housekeeping services are underway. In another day or two we should have transportation volunteers all scheduled.

Now all we have to do is get these two healthy!

5 comments:

meredith said...

Vicki,
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Meredith Cobb
(Breast Cancer Network of Strengh)

Brandon said...

Hello Vicki and Jack,

We wish you all the best and get well soon.
Vicki, you mentioned you were looking for chocolate? Do you like Fudge? I have bought interesting "smores fudge" and pumpkin at this place in San Francisco.

As for the large head comment, I went on a cave tour once and had to find the largest hard hat they had. Even the tour guide joked my head was watermelon sized.

Take care.
Brandon (from the Richmond Office)

Dragonflygal said...

Hi Meridith,
Thanks for the kind words! I am hoping to be back on the hotline by October I know that will be a busy time! Tell everyone I miss them.
Vicki

Dragonflygal said...

Hi Brandon,
Nice to hear from you. Jack has not been on the computer much but them he has the big screen HD tv and I am stuck here with a small tv with no interesting shows. I am watching movies on Netflick, reading and checking the blog.

Please no fudge! I love it but since Jack can't have high fat food or lots of sugar I would become bubble girl with out the bubble! I just lost weight and now I fear I will be gaining from all this chemo and no fresh fruits and veggtables stuff.
If you ever meet we can have a big head competition. I had to trade my high school graduation cap with the football player who was sitting by me with a tiny head. My friend Sharon who started this blog claims to have a big head but I think it is more she has big hair. Thanks for keeping in touch!

Sharon said...

Um big hair? More like big brain.