The Village

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Last Day of the 24/7 Chemo Bag

Yes, when the bag runs out tomorrow at about 1:30 pm, that will be the last of it.


I spoke to Vicki today at about 11 am and she sounded pretty perky. Unfortunately, she said that the pain she had today (from the diverticulitis) upon waking was the worst she'd had yet. In addition, her blood pressure was up again (224/118 or something like that). So they gave her morphine for the pain and I don't know what for the blood pressure but she was feeling much improved. Her oncologist is going to have a cardiologist see her in an attempt to figure out the blood pressure problem.


Another friend dropped by to see her today and says that after tomorrow, Vicki will have a couple of weeks' break in order for her white and red cells to grow and multiply. She should be feeling better during this time, and the diverticulitis should clear up. The oncologist said that she would be in the hospital for this time period. The goal is to see new good cell growth and maturity so that they can "consolidate" the very few disabled cells that will be mopped up by another chemo course of some type some time after that.


I'm going to take Jack to his first post-op appointment with his cardiologist tomorrow. Vicki wants me in the room, taking notes, asking questions, etc. I'm not sure how Jack's feeling about that but you know how "persuasive" Vicki can be. Besides, it's probably a good idea. My husband had a triple bypass in 2000 so I kind of know the drill.


Keep good thoughts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!
It's 5:00 on the east coast, so the bag should be done and gone by now! I hope everything went just as it should and that the side effects will soon abate.
I think of you often.