The first trip to UCSF was to get a infusion of palifermin to protect against mouth sores from the coming chemo.
After the infusion V&J called the main hospital to see if V's room was ready, which it was not. The hospital said the room would not be ready until 3PM. Since it was only 10AM and pouring rain on our coldest day so far this winter, the McF's decided to go home.
It's a good think they did because they later called from home and the hospital told them it would be 5PM then 8PM. When they arrived at the hospital at 8PM the room was still not ready. This is worse than checking in at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and they don't even have Wheel of Fortune or cocktails.
UCSF Trip 2 - The Human Pin Cushion
After getting the dreaded catheter in her neck, they still needed another line to check out V's busulfan level so she got poked 4 times in my arm and once in each foot (OUCH) before they brought a nurse from ER who got me on the first try in her arm.
Monday Morning - Staring the Honeymoon
This morning they started the busulfan which V. will get 4 times a day for 4 days. The nurse Vicki calls St Agnes (had her several times last visit) says the first part of my stay will be a honeymoon period. Vicki says, "I sure hope she is right. But we know what comes after the honeymoon OH NO!" After the busulfan she'll get the stem cell transplant and the real fun will start.
More Head Dents
Vicki adds "I have already bumped my head on the bleeping TV! And a nurse was in the room but I talked her out of any further action!" Last time Vicki whacked her head on Ivy and they had to do a head CT. The tiny television hangs down over the bed on a movable arm so there are numerous head denting opportunities.
3 comments:
Speaking of MGM Grand and that wonderful Wheel of Fortune game....the great big one, where about 8 people can sit around it, right?....I be thinkin that when Miss V is all better and ready to travel, all us pals with the "journey" letters need to meet in Vegas to put the necklace together, drink some of those great cocktails and spend some of my "no longer smoking" money that I am saving up. Anyone else in?
where do I get me one of those "journey letters"?! or is that where I came in?
I've been drinking my "no longer smoking" money for the last 30 years--will have to start buying lottery tickets. Wouldn't that be lovely karma--to win at gambling to go do more, and to do it with Miss V?
I am saving in my special new bank! I can't wait to feel well enough to do Vegas again.
MGM is fine with me since I can easily get to my favorite machine at New York, New York
Post a Comment