The Village

Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Numbers are Up (Not "Your Number is Up")

Vicki's red and white blood cells counts were much, much better today. They're starting to look almost normal. Her platelets are still very low, but they increased 50% over last week's number so they're heading in the right direction. The platelets are the last thing to come back so this was expected. They topped her off with a unit of platelets today, but she didn't need any other blood products.

Vicki had decided she wanted to get more input before taking the recommendation to receive additional stem cells. With these good numbers it looks like she won't need them and won't have to make that decision. This also means she'll get to save her leftover stem cells in case, God forbid, she needs them in the future.

Anybody out there giving blood? I cranked out a unit of O+ today, a mere drop in the bucket of what it's taken to keep our friend alive and well, but every little bit helps.

5 comments:

Kathi said...

Glad to hear the blood counts are coming up nicely--woohoo!!

Sara said...

Miss V,
Thanks for passing on the latest results. It must feel so good to be making your own red and white cells--physically and otherwise. I could tell you were feeling somewhat better when I noticed the hour at which you were emailing--are you getting enough sleep!?!

Sharon, thanks for the donation. One (more) of the damnable things about being a cancer survivor is that our blood is risky to give to people who need it. I really appreciate your giving for those many who need it.

I'm chilling the champagne!

Sharon said...

I'll just have to do the bleeding for all of us then! (grin)

If you're chilling the champagne, I'm drinking. Make mine Mumm's Blanc de Noirs (although truth be told, I'll drink any swill with bubbles in it).

Sharon said...

and speaking of swill with bubbles, i just remembered that i have a bottle of kona brewing company firerock pale ale in the fridge at home. nix the champers for me, i'm headed home to a brewski.

Jack B Nimble said...

Just wanted to add that the NP told us yesterday that the doctor had agreed with her (reluctantly) to advise another stem cell infusion if Vicki's blood counts had dropped again, so we were doubly overjoyed to see that small increase! JUST IN TIME....